21.2.10

HOW TO MAKE A STYROFOAM BASE WREATH

I have received a few inquiries about how I create my wreaths. So I thought it would be a good idea to add it to my "How To" library of tutorials.

You can use any material that you can safely glue onto the ribbon covered base. Seashell and faux flowers are quite popular. Other items are fabric flowers, buttons, rhinestones, jewelry, faux pearls, nuts, candy, just to name a few.

Keep in mind that if you want to use heavier materials use a smaller wreath base or use a stronger adhesive. If I were to create a larger seashell wreath over 15" I would use a much strong adhesive, such as E6000 or gorilla glue.

There are many shapes and sizes that are available from hobby/craft stores as well as online craft supply stores.




Once you have selected your shape and size, gather all your materials:


For this project I am using:

8" Styrofoam wreath base
1" Grosgrain Ribbon (about 2yards)
Low temperature glue stick
Seashells varying from 0.75" to 2"
Starfish focal 2.5" x 2.5"
My wreath hanger is a 1.5" satin ribbon in soft aqua


Start by wrapping the ribbon around your base:


Cover the sides and top with seashells. Depending on your desired design, you can outline the edges first. For this project, I want a very random, free flowing result.


Applying the seashell is a bit like a jig-saw puzzle. I work in sections keeping the gaps to a minimum.


Once the top and size are completely covered, use smaller shells to cover or balance the wreath.

When you are satisfied with the overall appearance, add your hanging ribbon


Check the back (see how nice and finished it looks)...


Add the bow and your beautiful creation is ready to hang!


The main reason why I wrap my wreath base with ribbon is to camouflage the base. I find that the raw styrofoam is unsightly and looks sloppy when the base peeks through. The back also looks unfinished and unattractive.

I try to match the ribbon with the overall color. If I cannot match it, I try to find a color that blends and enchances my materials.

An easy match, white faux pearls with white satin ribbon. A work in progress....


The ribbon is also beneficial when you are creating a wreath that will be viewed from all sides (back included). Here is a two-sided Christmas wreath I made for a client (actually I made 8 of them for her windows) using double red satin ribbon and red faceted beaded garland, with a green satin ribbon for hanging.


Lastly, think about how and where you will be hanging the wreath. You can use ribbon, or create a loop with wire. If you are using wire, affix it first, then wrap the base with ribbon.

For a smaller size wreaths, you can glue the hanging ribbon on. Here is what I did with the button wreath...


I used glued some sheer ribbon for hanging, and made it look pretty by gluing a button to hide the ribbon edge:


I hope this has been of some help for you. Good luck with your styrofoam wreath project! Don't forget to post some photos for us!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me @ enchantedrosestudio@yahoo.com!

3 comments:

The Muse said...

Beyond fab...
Thank you for ALL those wonderful images and great tips!

ooo...i have to plan on getting some time to make those...
the DIL will have them at her wedding shower!

Sandra B said...

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing! I'm going to start making these now, for Christmas!
SB

Michella Marie said...

I love the seashell wreath!!! I am going to make one for my beach bathroom :)) Thank you for the tutorial!!
~ Michella ~
xoxoxo